It’s autumn. The season for kids going back to school. The season for the leaves to turn orange and for harvest festivals to occur.
But what is so special about autumn for writers?
It’s NaNoWriMo season!
Even if you don’t write something in November, autumn is a great season to collect and store writing ideas for the rest of the year.
Here are 3 ways to unleash your creativity in autumn:
1. Keep it visual. One of the best ways to stimulate creativity is to see something. And of course, you see loads of things everyday. How will you be able to keep those ideas?
• Pinterest boards. I absolutely love Pinterest boards as you can save anything on the go. Not only are they so much fun and inspiring, but they are also really cute too😊
• Take photos. Almost everyone has a phone or a device that can take pictures. Did you lay out sheets of paper in a cool way at work? Take a picture. Do you like seeing your shadow? Take a picture. If you can take it, snap it.
• Watch movies. Let’s face it, when we read a book, it sometimes feels like you have a movie inside your head. Well, why not watch some actual movies? Not only will you have awesome ideas of how characters should look like, but it will also give you some inspiration for story ideas.
2. The Sounds Of Music. Ah, music. The heart of inspiration, in my opinion anyway 😊, . But there are so many songs to choose from! Where do you even start?
• The right stations. Radio stations are great, especially when you’re in the car on your way to school or work. But not every station is suitable for everyone, so make sure that you find the right station for you. For me, you can find me enjoying tunes to Classic FM. For some of my friends, they’ll be listening to a station that I don’t even know of!
• Play that Playlist. Playlists are a great way to choose songs for any mood. You can have a playlist for romance, a playlist for a fight scene, or simply just for encouragement to get you going through the day. Whatever mood you’re in, make that playlist. I highly recommend using Spotify for playlist creating.
• Go to concerts. What better to view creative vibes than going to a concert! There are so many kinds of concerts, each with different atmospheres and feelings. Think about how you feel, and lock it somewhere for you to create something out of it later.
3. Write. That’s right. Just write. Draw. Compose. Whatever you do! How else are you going to place your creativity into action without doing anything?
But what if I don’t feel like it? What if I don’t know where to start? I have too many ideas in my head!
Here are 3 ways to deal with that.
• Creativity sprint. Just set that timer and write as many words as you can. Create a melody as long as you can. Draw a picture for as long as you can. Then when the timer is finished, stop, look at your work, edit your work, and make a goal for your next creativity sprint.
• Get in the mood ! Use the pictures that you found, listen to the music that you love. Just get in the mood! Abbiee Emmons has an amazing video on this which you can click here( you may recognise some of my tips in this video, because she inspired me to make this post 😊): https://youtu.be/dS9xh6Css3Y
• Pray. Seriously. If you are struggling with motivation, just ask God to give it to you. He’s the Ultimate creator, and He loves it when we are creating 😊
How about you?
How are you going to be creative this season?